Many fear being stung by honey bees. In reality, honey bees are defensive, not aggressive. When a honey bee delivers a sting, she dies in consequence - as documented in Kathy Keatley Garvey's stunning photograph at right - because her internal organs are pulled out along with her stinger.
What should you do if you are stung? First, don't panic. Scrape off the stinger with a credit card or a fingernail - don't try to pull it out, or you will squeeze the stinger, thus making its muscles pump more venom.
What about allergic reactions? Only about 0.05% of human beings are so severely allergic to honey bee stings that they risk anaphylactic shock. If you are interested in keeping bees, but concerned about your risk level, you can get an allergy skin test or blood test to determine your susceptibility. If you are seriously allergic, your doctor may recommend that you carry an epinephrine pen. Below are links to helpful sites giving more detailed information:
Symptoms of allergic reactions: for a very clear breakdown, visit the Mayo Clinic's page by clicking here. Complete URL: